National History Day
National History Day (NHD) is a non-profit education organization based in College Park, Maryland. NHD offers year-long academic programs that engage over half a million middle- and high-school students around the world annually in conducting original research projects on historical topics of interest. Students
enter these projects at the local and affiliate levels, with top students advancing to the National Contest at the University of Maryland at College Park in June.
Interns will assist the NHD National Office staff with preparations, administration, and clean-up of the National Contest. This includes:
- Preparing contest materials for students, teachers, judges, and volunteers.
- For example, creating and alphabetizing judge packets for the 300+ volunteer contest judges.
- Assisting NHD Executive Director Cathy Gorn with developing and presenting the National Contest Welcome Ceremony.
- Training on the University of Maryland’s tech equipment and assisting with troubleshooting during the contest week.
- Supporting NHD National Office staff during the Awards Ceremony.
National History Day provides:
Housing in an apartment-like setting. Housing is near the College Park Metro stop, with easy access to downtown Washington, D.C.
A modest spending allowance.
Interns must provide:
Transportation to and from Maryland.
Spending money to tour Washington, D.C., and surrounding areas.
○ You must be a past NHD Contest participant (at the local, state, or national level).
○ You must be enrolled in college and have completed at least two years.
○ You must be at least 18 years old.
○ Any major can apply.